Schools in London (July, 2015)
This is an update on the previous report entitled, Schools in London (July, 2013)
This report reviews Islamic primary, secondary schools and sixth-forms (ages 5-19) in Greater London. It reviews (1) how many institutes there are and their capacity, (2) where they are, and (3) how much they charge. What constitutes an Islamic school is a subject of another article. Suffices it to say in this report it refers to those institutes which declared to the Department of Education (DfE) as having a Muslim characteristics1. The following is the summary of the findings:
- There are 52 institutes which run 69 schools: 29 primary, 33 secondary school (23 single secondary schools, 5 mixed each with its separate sections for boys and girls) and 7 sixth-forms
- There is only one boarding school
- The institutes in aggregate have a capacity of 7248 pupils; facilities for 2.6% of the Muslim population of London aged 5-19
- School distribution correlate closely with the Muslim population
- Schools on average (median) charge £2900, £3175 and £2700 for primary, secondary and sixth-form respectively
How much do they charge
|Lower Quartile (Q1)||£2550||£2850||£2250|
|Upper Quartile (Q3)||£3180||£3500||£3000|
Note: article still in draft.
- 1. Technically, such institutions will have a commitment of spending 20% of the curriculum time to teaching topics related on Islam.